.:English short stories:.

Haydi

s255_reading_club.jpg

سلام
میخوام ازتون دعوت کنم که بیاین تو این تاپیک تا با همدیگه داستان های کوتاه انگلیسی بخونیم..
پس اگر علاقمند به این کار هستید.. بسم الله..
هم سرگرمیه، هم تقویت مهارت Reading

فقط دو تا نکته:
1. لطفا داستانها رو با فونت درشت تایپ کنیم.. آخه متن انگلیسی باشه و فونت ریز، یه کوچولو خوندنش مشکله.
2. احتمالا تو هر متنی یه سری کلمات جدید وجود داره.. خوبه که اون کلمات رو تو متن بولد کنیم و بعد در انتهای متن معنیشو بنویسیم. (حالا فارسی یا انگلیسی، هرکدوم که دوست داشتیم)

راستی اگر هم راجع به متنی نظر داشتید میتونیم با هم بحث کنیم.

am-ml

عالیه هایدی جونم ؛من تو موبایلم چندتایی دارم . ببینم توی اینترنت پیداشون می کنم که نخوام تایپ کنم.

Haydi

Little John

Little John came into the kitchen and told his mom:” Mom, I want a bike for my birthday “. Mom said:”John, go to your room and think about how you behaved this year. Then write a letter to God and tell him why you deserve a bike for your birthday “.
John sat down to write aletter to God.

Letter No.1: Dear God, I have been a very good boy this year and I would like a bike for my birthday,and I want a red one, your friend, John.
John knew he had not been a good boy that year, so he tore up that letter and started a new one.

Letter No.2: Dear God, I have been an “OK” boy this year. I still would like a bike for my birthday.

He knew that was not true either, so he tore up that one and started another.

Letter No.3: Dear God, I know I have not been a good boy this year but I promise I will be a good boy if you give me a bike for my birthday.

He knew he can never be a good boy and that letter won’t get him a bike. So, he tore up that one too.

He went out of the house, walked down the street to the church and went up to the altar. He looked around to see if anyone was watching him. He bend down and picked up the statue of the Virgin Mary, Slipped it under his shirt, ran out of the church, down the street, into his house and up to his room.

He began a new letter to God: Dear God, I’ve got your mom. If you want to see her again, SEND ME A RED BIKE.

Signed, YOU KNOW WHO!

Altar: a table or raised level surface used in areligious ceremony.
The Virgin Mary: in the Christian religion, the mother of Jesus Christ.

tabestan

دستتون درد نکنه.عالییییییییییییییییییییییییییییییییییییییییییه:28:

The Book of Thoughts

داستانم طولانیه اما چون قشنگه مرحله به مرحله همشو می تایپم :)

و اما داستان راستان....

Chester was feeling more tired than usual after a hard day at the office. He had joined the company only two years before. He had come straight from university then, but now he was a junior manager in one of the biggest companies in Singapore. It was an important position to have and meant lots of extra work.

He could understand the jealousy that some of the other workers might feel against the “new boy”, as they still called him. He had risen quickly in the company. Many of them, however, had been there for years doing the same jobs. He could understand how bad feeling towards him might lie hidden behind their smiles.

But it didn’t make life any easier.

He needed people whose advice he could trust when he had to make difficult decisions. He had to be sure that the bad feelings of the other workers didn’t get in the way of the important business decisions he had to make. He knew he could never be come a manager unless he could be sure of people.

Then there was Dorothy.

Chester was fairly sure of his own good looks. He was dark and slim and dressed smartly, but with an eye to be a sociable and effective junior manager.

But when it came to Dorothy his judgment disappeared. Dorothy was a bright girl who had just joined the company, straight from university. He was attracted at once by her intelligent eyes, her shy, pretty face and her soft, round figure.

Ah, Dorothy!

Take today, for example. He had been given some new figures to check and he had asked Dorothy to read some of the details to him while he took notes. It was not until she had left that he realized that he had not written notes at all. Instead he had written Dorothy’s name several times. He was too embarrassed to ask Dorothy for the details again, so he had to look them up in the office of old Mr. Shaw.

Mr. Shaw was known for always being in a bad mood and he was no different this time. He didn’t like having to stay late to check figures for some junior manager. He didn’t like it at all.

Chester hated it when he made mistakes. It didn’t look good. But it didn’t happen often.

Haydi

ممنون پرستار مهربون..
تا اینجا که خیلی قشنگ بود..یه داستان عشقولانه..
دوس دارم بقیشم زودتر بخونم..:smilies-azardl (113

Haydi

The appointment

Once upon a time, there was a rich caliph in Baghdad. He was very famous because he was wise and kind.

One morning he sent his servant, Abdul, to the market to buy some fruit. As Abdul was walking through the market, he suddenly felt very cold. He knew that somebody was behind him.

He turned around and saw a tall man, dressed in black. He couldn’t see the man’s face, only his eyes.

The man was staring at him, and Abdul began to shiver. “who are you? What do you want?“ Abdul asked. The man in black didn’t reply.

“What’s your name?“ Abdul asked nervously.

“I…am…Death,” the stranger replied coldly and turned away.

Abdul dropped his basket and ran all the way back to the caliph’s house. He rushed into the caliph’s room.

“Excuse me, master. I have to leave Baghdad immediately,” Abdul said.

“But why? What’s happened?” the caliph asked.

“I just met Death in the market,”Abdul replied.

“Are you sure?” asked the caliph.

“Yes, I’m sure. He was dressed in black, and he stared at me. I’m going to my father’s house in Samarra. If I go at once, I’ll be there before sunset.”

The caliph could see that Abdul was terrified and gave him permission to go to Samarra.

The caliph was puzzled. He was fond of Abdul, and he was angry because Abdul had been badly frightened by the stranger in the market. He decided to go to the market and investigate. When he found the man in black, he spoke to him angrily.

“Why did you frighten my servant?”

“Who is your servant?” the stranger replied.

“His name is Abdul,” answered the caliph.

“I didn’t want to frighten him. I was just surprised to see him in Baghdad.”

“Why were you surprised?” the caliph asked.

“I was surprised because I have an appointment with him tonight in Samarra!”

Caliph: خلیفه

Shiver: to shake slightly, especially because of cold or fear; tremble

varia

دوستان خیلی پیشنهاد خوبیه. ممنون هایدی خانم.

The Book of Thoughts

He decided he would walk home instead of taking train. It was late in the evening but he felt he needed the walk to clear his thoughts after a busy day. Anyway, it would be a little punishment for being so stupid earlier on. He decided that he would eat at the shopping center near his home. He liked the Chinese food there.

As he walked towards his favourite Chinese restaurant, he saw that the lights were still on in an old antique shop. He had often thought of looking into this shop because he liked shops that sold old things. He stopped and looked. There were boxes full of old books piled out side the shop. On the shop window was a notice. It read: Sorry, shop closed today. Open again tomorrow.

He bent down to look at the books. He saw all the usual old books: school books, cookery books and other books with dirty, yellow pages that were of no value to him. There was one small, old book, however that he noticed at once. It looked much older than the rest of the books. He picked it up.

“Take it!” said a voice behind him. Chester turned to see a man of about eighty years old. The man had opened the shop door and was carrying another box full of old books. “These have all been around for years. My nephew is taking over the business and I don’t want to leave him with all this rubbish. Nobody wants to buy any of it, so take what you want – go on, help yourself!”

“Thanks,” said Chester as he put the old book into his jacket pocket and went on to the Chinese restaurant.

Chester sat at his table drinking a beer. He had been looking forward to his chicken and rice. When it arrived, he found that the chicken had not been cooked properly. It was pink inside. He decided to complain and called the waiter:

“Sir?” asked the waiter.

Chester noticed that waiter was new to the place.

“I’m not eating this,” Chester told him. “The chicken is pink inside – it hasn’t been cooked properly.”

“It’s rare chicken, sir,” the waiter said. “Many of our customers prefer its finer taste.”

Chester looked straight at the waiter. He thought the waiter was not showing enough respect.

“Really?” answered Chester.

“It’s very popular, sir,” said the waiter.

“And I suppose the illness they caught from eating undercooked chicken was popular with them too, eh?” said Chester. Other people in the restaurant could hear. He was annoyed.

The waiter said nothing but his face turned red.

“Please take this chicken back,” Chester told the waiter, “and give me a piece that has been cooked all the way through.”

“Certainly, sir,” said the waiter as he took the food and went back to the kitchen.

While Chester was waiting for his meal to return he remembered the little book in his pocket. He thought he would have a look at it while he was waiting. He took it out of his pocket and examined it:

It was small enough to fit easily into his pocket and was covered with old, fine leather. He had to clean off some of the dirt in order to read the title on the cover. At first the title seemed to be in another language with strange letters and shapes, but as he looked they seemed to change into English. He closed his eyes tightly and opened them again. He was mistaken, of course. He must have been. When he looked again the title of the book was there. It was still dirty but it was clearly written in English. It read: The Book of Thoughts.

pild : توده کردن، کومه کردن، اندوختن
rare : نیم پخته
tightly: محکم

واکنش‌ها[ی پسندها]: Haydi

Haydi

What goes around comes around

Once there was a poor farmer in Scotland whose name was Fleming. One day, while he was working on his farm, he heard someone calling for help.

He ran towards the voice.He saw a boy stuck up to his waist in the wet, soft ground. The boy was terrified and was screaming and was trying to free himself. Fleming managed to save the boy from the real danger.

The next day, an elegant carriage stopped by Fleming’s small house. A well-dressed man got off the carriage and introduced himself as the father of the boy whom Fleming had saved.

“I want to repay you,”said the man. “You saved my son’s life.”

“No, I can’t accept any money for what I did,” Fleming replied. At that moment, Fleming’s son walked out of the house.

“Is that your son?” the man asked.

“Yes,” Fleming replied proudly.

“I’ll make you a deal. Let me provide him with the same education my son receives. If the boy is anything like his father, he will grow to be a man whom we both will be proud of.”

Fleming accepted the offer. Fleming’s son attended the best schools and graduated from St. Mary’s Hospital Medical School in London. Later he became famous throughout the world as Sir Alexander Fleming, the discoverer of Penicillin.

Many years later, the same man’s son, who was saved by Alexander Fleming’s father became seriously ill. What saved his life the second time? Penicillin.

The name of the man was Lord Randolf Churchill, and his son was Sir Winston Churchill, the British Prime Minister, one of the world’s most famous politicians.

What goes around comes around: The results of things that one has done will someday have an effect on the person who started the events.
stuck up: فرو رفتن
elegant: زیبا، خوش طرح

سلام دوستای نازنین :)
می خواستم بقیه داستانو بذارم نمی دونستم آدرس انجمن عوض شده
بابت تاخیر عذرخواهی می کنم
از لطف و توجه هایدی عزیزم به داستان ها بسیار سپاسگزار می باشم :)

Haydi

سلام دوستای نازنین :)
می خواستم بقیه داستانو بذارم نمی دونستم آدرس انجمن عوض شده
بابت تاخیر عذرخواهی می کنم
از لطف و توجه هایدی عزیزم به داستان ها بسیار سپاسگزار می باشم :)

خواهش میکنم عزیزم
منتظر ادامه داستانت هستیم :28:

Haydi

God’s smile

Louise Redden, a poorly dressed lady with a look of defeat on her face, walked into a grocery store.

She approached the owner of the store in the most humble manner and asked if he would let her charge a few groceries.

She softly explained that her husband was very ill and unable to work, they had six children and they needed food.

John Longhouse, the grocer requested that she leave his store, in a rude manner.

The needful woman insisted and said: "Please, sir! For God’s sake, I will bring you the money just as soon as I can."

John told her that he could not give her credit, since she did not have a charge account at his store.

Standing beside the counter was a customer who overheard the conversation between the two. The customer walked forward and told the grocer that he would pay good for whatever she needed for her family.

The grocer said in a very reluctant voice, "Do you have a grocery list?"

Louise replied, "Yes sir."

"O.K" he said. "Put your grocery list on the scales and whatever your grocery list weighs, I will give you that amount in groceries."

Louise, shy fully hesitated a moment, then she reached into her purse and took out a piece of paper and wrote something on it. She then laid the piece of paper on the scale.

Everybody’s eyes showed amazement when the scales went down and stayed down.

The grocer, staring at the scales, said: “I can’t believe it.” The customer smiled.

The grocer started putting the groceries on the other side of the scales. The scale did not balance, so he continued to put more and more groceries on them until the scales balanced.

The grocer grabbed the piece of paper from the scales and looked at it with greater amazement.

It was not a grocery list; it was her prayer, which said:
"Dear Lord, you know my needs and I am leaving this in your hands."

The grocer gave her the groceries that he had gathered and stood in silence.

Louise thanked him and left the store.

The customer handed a fifty dollars bill to the grocer and said: "It was worth every penny of it.”

Only God Knows how much an honest and a pure prayer weighs…

PRAYER IS THE BEST FREE GIFT TO GIVE ANYONE. THERE IS NO COST BUT A LOT OF REWARDS.

Defeat: losing a game, fight or war
Humble: not having a high opinion of oneself………متواضع
Grocer: shopkeeper who sells food and goods for the home.
Credit: agreement to buy s.th and pay later
Reluctant: unwilling
Hesitate: to pause briefly because of uncertainty………تامل کردن، دودل بودن

Haydi

An interview with God

An interview with God

I dreamed I had an interview with God.

"Come in" God said. "So, you would like to interview me?"

"If you have the time," I said.

God smiled and said: "My time is eternity and is enough to do everything. What questions do you have in mind to ask me?"

"What surprises you most about mankind?

God answered:
“That they get bored of being children, are in a rush to grow up, and then long to be children again.”

“That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health.”

“That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live neither for the present nor the future.”

God's hands took mine and we were silent for awhile and then I asked...

"As a parent, what are some of life's lessons you want your children to learn?"

God replied with a smile:
“To learn that what is most valuable is not what they have in their lives, but who they have in their lives.”

“To learn that there are people that love them dearly, but simply do not know how to express or show their feelings.”

“To learn that money can buy everything but happiness.”

“To learn that two people can look at the same thing and see it totally different.”

“To learn that a true friend is someone who knows everything about them...and likes them anyway.”

“To learn that it is not always enough that they be forgiven by others, but that they have to forgive themselves.”

I sat there for a while enjoying the moment. I thanked Him for his time and for all that he has done for me and my family, and he replied:

"Anytime, I'm here 24 hours a day. All you have to do is ask for me, and I'll answer."

eternity: time without end

The Book of Thoughts

It didn’t say who wrote the book.

Chester thought it must be one of those old books which offered advice about life. He felt disappointed.

He tried to open the book but it had an old metal lock which stopped him. Then suddenly the book seemed to open quite naturally at the middle pages. It was almost as if it wanted him to read it.

What he saw when he looked surprised him. The pages had nothing written on them and they were clean and white, not at all like the yellow pages one would expect to find in a book this old. Did all the pages have no writing on them?

Just then the waiter returned with Chester’s chicken and rice and placed it before him.

“Thank you,” said Chester.

“My pleasure, sir,” answered the waiter with a smile.

Chester happened to look at the opened book. It now had writing on the pages which only a moment before had had been clean and white. The writing said:

He wouldn’t look so pleased with himself if he knew what I had put on to his chicken while I was in the kitchen. That will teach him to make me to look silly.

Chester couldn’t believe what he saw. Was this what the waiter was thinking?

“Anything else, sir?” asked the waiter politely.

“Er… no, thank you,” said Chester.

As the waiter walked off the writing disappeared. Chester looked at his meal. He didn’t feel hungry any more. And he could hardly complain to the manager about the waiter. Not without telling them about the book. Who would believe him?

Chester left the chicken and rice alone, paid his bill and went. He did not leave the waiter a tip.

When Chester got home he felt exhausted. He took out the book and looked inside it once more. The pages were now all white and clear again. Perhaps it had all been a result of his tiredness. He had been thinking too much about work – and about Dorothy. That must be it. There was no other possible explanation: he was simply too tired to think straight.

He went to bed and slept almost at once.

بالا